The street was opened in 1780 and named after a nearby building called the Hanover Villa that was build by the 3rd Duke of Richelieu with the profits he made from the 1757 invasion of Hanover during the Seven Years’ War.
Blanqui was involved in the fighting in this street in July 1830. No. 6 is its only notable building, an office block now listed as a historic monument, thanks to its art nouveau style. It was built in 1907.