Numbers 33, 39
A Karaite-Jewish Russian exile who had arrived in France in the 1930s, Michel Szkolnikoff, made one of the biggest fortunes during the German occupation of Paris. He bought about 50 addresses in the Champs-Élysées area, including 16 in the Rue Marbeuf.
Sequestered in 1944 upon the liberation of Paris, the Aubrac family was given an apartment in No. 39 on their return and lived there until the spring of 1946.
Szkolnikoff was killed in Spain in 1945 by the French security services as they tried to bring him back to France for trial. All the properties in Rue Marbeuf were sold off individually in 1947-48. Not all his massive fortune was ever fully restored to the French state.
Since 1798 the new road built running alongside the Grand Égout (the major drain collecting sewage from Paris right-bank) had been called ‘the street of squashes’ (rue des Gourdes) since these had been grown for hundreds of years in the bog that covered the area from there to the Place de la Concord. But in 1829 it was renamed the Rue Marbeuf, after the Marquise de Marbeuf who had owned the nearby Marbeuf Garden, and who was executed on February 5 1794 for having ‘been found guilty of wishing the Prussians would come to Paris’.
In 1982 a car bomb planted by Carlos (Ilich Ramírez Sánchez) was exploded outside No. 33, the offices of a pro-Irak and anti-Syrian regime Lebanese newspaper, killing one person and wounding 66.