Number 1, 9
On May 12 1839 the café at No 1 was used as Blanqui’s headquarters during the Insurrection against King Louis-Philippe staged by the Four Seasons secret society.
It was one of the few streets that saw a barricade built on December 4 1851 in a weakly-supported attempt to stop Louis-Napoléon Bonaparte’s coup d’État.
The street was opened in 1790 and named after its architect, Charles-François Mandar. Unlike many contemporary architects, he actually lived in the street he designed. Deliberately, in pursuit of egalitarian ideals, all his neighbours’ houses were built with identical facades.
Mandar (1757-1844) lived at No. 9. During the revolution he got several commissions as a result of his brother knowing Danton and Robespierre, and the rue Mandar was built as a speculative housing development.