Numbers: 4, 6
The street was named, it is believed, after the large numbers of students from Poitou who lived in the 13th century street. It became known as the Rue Poitevine in 1448.
In 1824 Pierre Leroux worked in the printshop belonging to Charles-Louis Panckoucke and founded the newspaper The Globe, that became the organ of the Saint-Simoniam utopian socialists from 1830. The printshop at No. 4 was in the Hotel de Thou, where Jacques Auguste de Thou, a president of the Paris parliament, had first established a major library there in 1587.
No. 6 was a lodging house and restaurant set up in 1840 and called the pension Laveur. It was based in a wing of Thou’s Paris mansion. Gustave Courbet, Elisee Reclus and many other 19th century political figures stayed and/or ate there as students or while first living in Paris – either at this address or at 20 Rue Serpente, where the pension Laveur moved to later.