Place Joachim de Bellay

Arrondissement 1

Fontaine des Innocents

Square Joachim du Bellay

The Square covers part of the site of the major cemetery within the Paris walls from the Middle Ages to the end of the 18th century. In 1786 the bones from the Innocents Cemetery were transferred to the Paris catacombs, the Church of the Innocents was demolished, and the site became the Market of the Innocents.

During the 1830 Glorious Revolution it witnessed violent clashes between the insurgents and the army.

Charles Marville photographed the Marché des Innocents and its 16th century fountain in 1858, just two years before the fruit and vegetable market was moved to Les Halles that closed in its turn in 1971.

In 1985 the remaining half of the area that had not been bought and built on in 1860 was named after the 19th century poet, Joachim du Bellay (1522-1560) – a contemporary of its 16th century Fountain.