Rue Lalande

Arrondissement 14

Number4

Natalia Sedova lived in a flat at No. 4 in 1902. The meetings of the Russian Social Democrats around the Iskra newspaper used to take place there, and this was where Trotksy came to on his arrival in Paris.

While in Paris in 1902-1903 Trotksy attended three of the lectures on the Russian agrarian question given by Lenin at the Higher Studies School (l’Ecole Pratique des Hautes études) based at 47, rue des Ecoles. He was also shown round Paris, the Louvre, the Luxembourg Gardens by 20-year-old Natalia Sedova.

The young Natalia Sedova married Trotsky in 1903.

The street’s original name was rue Sainte-Marie until 1863 when the commune of Montrouge was absorbed into Paris. It was then briefly called ‘rue de l’Impératrice‘ before Haussmmann or the Emperor realised this was going too far.

Instead. in 1864 it was changed to the current Rue Lalande to honour a French astronomer who had worked at the nearby Observatory, Joseph Jérôme Lefrançois de Lalande (1732-1807).

PLACES