Ho Chi Minh stayed in this street when he first arrived in Paris in 1917, before he was traced by the police. In 1962 the police killed 9 CGT anti-OAS demonstrators outside the Charonne metro station
A short street with an old tower that once signalled the presence of a huge abbey that was the meeting place of the first French communist revolutionaries and is now a highly respectable Lycee
While No. 1 was the first Paris building made of reinforced concrete, the narrow street is best known for its left political meetings in the mansion built in 1888-1890 and 1899-1900 to house the Parisian scientific associations.
A street linked to the revolutionary syndicalist direct action tendency of the CGT, the only trade union confederation in 1908, and also, strangely, to the start of the French 16th century wars of religion.
A street opened up and named in 1907 after a man who had not lived in Paris since 1871 during a period of left ascendancy on Paris municipal council. This commemoration was partially retracted by the next council.